Thursday 30 December 2010

Into the Groove again!

Just finished a 3 day Off Piste Clinic which was great fun, a great crew, great conditions and some great riding.

It's that time of year were I'm starting to get back in to the groove of everything, trying to fit in my personal training for the cycling season next year with my freeriding and guiding through out the winter.

I've been doing quite a bit of leg power work, Dec and Jan are my power up months, then I'll start to go more aerobic through out feb, March and April which also fits in nicely for the BC freeride and touring side of things.

I just have to make sure I don't do to much and just burn out, but at the moment things feel good, my legs are super strong and my riding feels better than ever!

Riding every day again takes quite a lot out of you. On the courses, we're riding morning through until last lift most of the time and so it's important to be prepared for the long days and keep yourself fuelled up through out the day.

My personal tip is some 'Science in Sport' energy mix in my drinks bottle and some energy Gels and Go bars in my pockets. At the end of the day I'm also drinking some 'SiS' rego for recovery straight after riding. Seems to be working!

Get yourself onto the 'SiS' website (link on home page) and get yourself some products to keep you going when the going gets tough!

Head honcho from 'Jones Snowboards' Robert Etienne joined us for a run down the Lognan's Glacier yesterday. He's a part time Chamonix local and so will be joining us now and then on a few of the courses here and there, picking up some feedback on the boards and getting out and about in the mountains on the Split board tip.

I received all my 'Jones Solution split boards' now, still waiting for a few parts for some, but I just set mine up and it is now ready to ride so I'm keen to get out touring on it this weekend, I fancy heading up the Argentiere Glacier to the 'Col du Tour Noire' or something like that if the weather stays stable.

Setting up and personalizing your Split board takes a little time. Make sure you read the tips that come with the 'Spark' bindings and be ready to take them apart to re-size then to your boots. I spent most of the morning getting it all set up and managed to get my perfect stance with out compromise and so am super keen to try it out.

I'll let you know how I get on and run a review once I've dialled it in.

I've also got my Flagships 163 and 168 XL's to pick up this evening so I'll give them a ride next week on the 5 day Tech clinic which starts on Monday. The Tech clinic runs through the Science behind perfect snowboard technique and runs from Piste to Off Piste. (Of course if the snow is good Off Piste, I scrap the on piste bit!)

I rode the Hovercraft again this week and am happy to say that it still feels amazing to ride, even with my heavy Backcountry pack on my back. Yesterday I had the full Glacier kit in there so this must add about 10kilos on my back and it was still stiff enough for the full mountain rip around, Nice!

Looking forward to getting out on the 168 Flagship, looks like it'll fly!

Most of the courses are now pretty full and some have waiting lists. We're always getting cancellations for one reason or another so keep checking back and let Ruth know what you're after if you're looking to try to get out this winter. I also have a week free at the end of March so have the possibility of putting on one more course so watch this space for details. Still trying to decide what course to run!

Right got to go pick up some boards in Cham so until the next time,

All is good in Chamonix!

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment