Friday 2 April 2010

Winter returns to Chamonix!

Wow, loads of snow in Chamonix again and the mountains are looking amazing! At this time of year the snow holds a little more moisture than early season and so it starts to stick to everything and the steep faces start to get a good cover. This is the time of year when some of the extreme lines start to come into condition, its also however a time of year when the temperature can fluctuate to the extreme and so what was good in the morning can be the opposite in the afternoon and we'll see lots of heavy point release slides going off in the days following the frequent April showers over the next month or so.

I've just finished a 3 day Off Piste clinic which was timed to perfection with 3 days of Off piste powder, a bluebird day up the Grands Montets which was great but busy as ever and then 2 storm riding days in the trees at Courmayeur which were amazing!

It's nice to be out riding bottomless fresh again, I quite simply just love it!

I'm now enjoying a couple of days off from the mountains, my first rest period (3 days) since starting out in December from when I've been up riding 6 days a week right through until now and I have to say the last couple of weeks my legs have been feeling it a little. Yesterday I just kind of lazed. Today we had a family swimming trip to a spa pool in Switzerland where there are massage jets and the likes in the pools. Suddenly my legs are starting to feel strong again and I'm half tempted to have a quick session on the bike on the turbo trainer this evening although I know I shouldn't. I've not been on the bike at all this last week although the week before I managed to get out for my first ride of the year after a quick descent of the Vrai Valley Blanche in the morning(not on the bike). My legs really felt it though and I think I put too much in as I was tired for the next couple of days, I'm kind of dreading my next turbo session as I know it'll be hard after a week or so off.

Anyway, winter seems to have returned and there's a lot of descents looking to be in great condition. I have a 7 day Private guiding week coming up. 1 on 1 with a regular client Alistair Davies who rides great and has a great sense of adventure so we should be able to get out and find some great snow to ride. I fancy a quick Grandes Autannes as it looked great as I drove over the col du Forclaz this afternoon. The big bowls above La Caffe which I've never done looked great so I'm keen for that. Everything in the Aiguille Rouge is looking good and then the Breche du Puiseaux in the Peridades is pretty much a 'must do' trip for this coming week plus I have a few ideas for exploring some new spots I've never been to.

Lets hope we get lots of snow and perfect days!

There's lots of interest for next season already so I'll go through the calendar with Ruth and we'll start to come up with dates and courses and should have these online mid April.

Keep checking back here for info and updates!

All is good,

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment