Saturday 12 September 2009

Nice climbing this morning!

I Guided our regular tour of the Petite Fourche from the Albert premier refuge over to Trient. The Glaciers are even drier than last week, I've never seen them like this in 20 years of being up in the mountains.

The Trient plateau is down to bare Ice which I've never seen before, its kind og interesting to see all the huge crevasses that we normally walk over on a thin layer of snow!

The Glacier run down from the Col du Passon is also totally down to the ice and once again the crevasses there are pretty impressive to see. There's some big holes up there, you could drive a double decker bus into some and it wouldn't hit the sides and you wouldn't see it hit the bottom either!!

Some very narrow and delicate snow bridges remain as the only way across some of these yawning voids, it pretty interesting up there at the moment!

On the way back from Trient instead of doing the regular Aiguille du Tour route which isn't looking too hot at the moment, very dry and not very appealing looking with lots of rock fall potential, I took on a new venture climbing the excellent ridge from the col du Tour up to the Tete Blanche, my team were quite strong and so we took the final steep headwall which offered some excellent easy rock climbing in a very atmospheric setting. Great fun!

Tomorrow I head up to the Tete Rousse, for the last time this season, for my last Mont Blanc of the summer (although I had too e-mails today on my way down, for two more ascents before the end of the month). Of course I'll be busy out on the bike next week and then it time to catch up with planning the winter activities.

A few people have been asking about a Greenland trip, I've not planned anything for this year but 2011 will be a definite for Greenland so if you're interested let us know.

Tech clinics and Off piste clinics are looking very popular this winter, its great to see riders taking interest in their personal improvement and I'm looking forwards to these weeks myself. Its always good to get stuck in and see people improve, very inspiring!

I'm going to take Christmas off but am getting bookings for Private instruction/guiding around New Year and early Jan. If you need dates for availability for Private sessions get in touch with Mel as she's in charge of my calendar, I just do what I'm told!

Jeff or (Jazzy) as he likes to be known has put together a video (as he has far too much time on his hands these days) from one of the BC courses a couple of years ago. Check it out!

McNab BCI & BCF March 2006 from Jeff Swindles on Vimeo.



Right, might sneak out on the bike for a quick spin.

Hope all is well back in the real world.

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment