Wednesday 6 May 2009

A tragic loss, Keith will be in our hearts for ever!


It is with a heavy heart and much regret that I write about the loss of one of the greatest guys I have ever known. A doting husband to Mel, a loving father to Arren and a loyal friend to all who knew him.

Tragically , Keith was caught in an Avalanche whilst riding with friends at the UK Board test in Kaunertal, Austria on the 5th May 2009.

Keith was an experienced and responsible Backcountry Freerider, an inspirational rider who has influenced all that he has met, coached and shared the mountain with through his natural enthusiasm, enormous talent and incredible technical knowledge.

Keith was a loyal friend, a fellow ‘McNab Coach’, my right hand man, who’s determination and desire to live the life of his dreams took him and his family from the 9 to 5 routine in Scotland to the mountains and high peaks that he loved.

Keith’s determination to live the life of his dreams was inspirational. Starting out with Mel on a Kommunity Camp as a relative novice only a decade ago he fell in love with Snowboarding and made it his life.

Since I first Met Keith and Mel some 10 years ago they have both inspired and motivated me to live my dreams and follow the pathway that I have chosen.

As a rider he was someone I looked up to, sometimes envied, his natural enthusiasm was infectious and his energy limitless.

And as a friend he was always there to talk to, always ready to help and always encouraging and positive.

Keith would be the person that I’d chat to about this Norway trip when I got back to Chamonix.

Keith would be waiting to here my news, excited about the prospect of riding new areas. Keith, I hoped would be one day joining me on these Voyages of discovery that we planned and talked about in the run up to the coming winter.

Keith lived to Snowboard, lived to Mountain bike and lived to love his family, Mel and Arren.

We have lost a great friend but we will over time learn to celebrate the life he lived. We shall find inspiration in his achievements and the determination with which he lived his life.

The loss of our great friend shows us how fragile life really is and shows us that we should not waste a minute of this precious thing that we often take for granted.

Keith will be in our hearts forever. His spirit will join me on every turn I make. He made his home in the mountains that he loved and his spirit shall soar amongst these high peaks forever.

We will all miss him terribly and our strength, thoughts and hearts will now be with Mel and Arren for eternity.

This has to be the hardest thing I have ever written. Today at Mel’s request I remained in Norway and climbed and rode as Keith would have wanted me to. Dan and Jez, another two of Keith’s closest friends are at the moment mountain biking in Majorca, a trip on which normally Keith would have joined them. Today they rode as Keith would have wanted them to and I know that like me they could feel him with them at every moment.

Keith will ride with us all forever.

20 comments:

  1. A tragic loss to everyone who knew him,a great guy with a great passion in the sports loved and experience he shared with many of us, my thoughts are for his family.

    Paul Fargin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Keith personally however we produced a TV project that he was involved with. I think the strength and good nature of his character comes through in the film which was about realizing the aspirations of a blind man who wanted to do a heli drop on a snowboard.

    The film can be seen here:
    http://www.grainmedia.co.uk/files/videos/ADI_SNOBLIND.mov

    My sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

    Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Guys, keep them coming.
    Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a privilege for me to have known Keith as a wonderful instructor & jokester earlier this year. Mine & Tony's best wishes go out to Mel, Arren, and his crew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top man nice to bump into him in Les2alps every now and again.

    Condolences to Mel and Family

    Len

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keith was a great coach, a stylish rider and just a nice person to be on the mountain with. His friendly and easy going attitude made it easy to be in, and enjoy, his company.

    We are both stunned by this, and our deepest condolences go out to Mel, Keith's family and close friends.

    Steve & Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Neil,

    Me and Kat are totally gutted by this news. our snowboarding wouldnt be anywhere without you both.

    I had real problems as a beginner with my arse sticking out. Keith said to me that without even looking he knew the problem was my highbacks. he was spot on and my riding improved instantly.

    our very first exposure to the McNab way of riding was you asking Keith to show us how it was done. Those 5/6 turns he did down the L2A glacier were something so amazing i still tell my friends about it. It was like watching perfection. Whenever I get myself into a sketchy situation, I always recall that 10 second image to calm me and remind me what needs to be done.

    Kat and I offer our sincerest condolences to Mel, Arren and all those who got to meet such a total legend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We heard today, and it came as a complete shock. Having recently spent a week in Laax with him, my daughter is devastated by the news. Keith spent so much time coaching and encouraging her, it was good to see someone that was so dedicated and professional. Our thoughts are with Mel and the family. We too offer our sincerest condolences, and I just hope that these posting give some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the pleasure of riding with Keith on an Off-piste clinic last year. Top bloke and great instructor. He will be sorely missed. Deepest sympathies to Mel and Arren.

    Carl Edgar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tragic news, such a top bloke, an inspiration to many including myself.

    Mel, my deepest sympathies to you and Arren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keith was a great guy. An inspiation to most of us in the way he led his life. My thoughts are with Mel and family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel very previledged to have had the opportunity to ride with him on a number of occasions. He was an inspiration.

    Such a tragic loss. Keith, it was a pleasure.

    My thoughts are with Mel, family and close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tragic news.I will always remember the day in Feb 09 when we boarded from La Tour into Switzerland, we laughted our heads off all the way down, what a day, thanks Keith you were a great man.

    Andy Cook

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry and sad to hear this news. Keith was a brilliant, lovely guy - not only a fantastic snowboarder - that goes without saying - but great at encouraging the best out of people. I will never forget how helpful, patient and considerate he was to me when I was starting out and I was all rubbish and scared - riding alongside me, saying positive things and them waiting for me when I was too slow to keep up.Later on, I got to really admire his style, jibbing about, making the most of the piste - showing you great fun stuff to try out and stretch your abilities.He will be very, very much missed. Alison

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ive only just heard the news. I dont know what to say, Im shocked its such a tradgic loss.
    My heart goes out to Mel and family. RIP

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keith you were an inspiration to all who knew you, you helped me with my snowboarding technique many times, and i thoroughly enjoyed the times i spent with you in the mountains. my heart goes out to the family and friends you've left behind. its a tragic loss and you will be missed. Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i only heard about this today and it has come as a real shock. i met Keith in laax at the brits last year, had a few laughs in the evenings at the rancho and watched him ride during the day. he made it look so easy and natural and made me want to ride more. an easy guy to talk to and an inspiration.
    will be sadly missed by those he touched.
    so long
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Neil,

    Just heard the news- Please pass my love on to Mel. Kieth's love for the mountains was evident in all he did and truely infectous. He brightened up many of my days and everyone's at Kommunity .. for that I am eternally grateful. He will be dearly missed.

    Much love and thinking of you Mel,

    Alexa (Hohenberg) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was lucky enough to be able to be instructed by Keith on a McNab course a few years ago, his expertise and good humour was part of what made it one of the best weeks on snow for me.
    My deepest sympathies to Mel and Arren

    Fi x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just heard the terrible news today. Love and sympathy to Mel, Arren and all his close friends.

    I met Keith several times over the last few years in Chamonix and all my memories of him from those days make me smile. In the mountains he was an inspiration. He always worked so hard for us and we appreciated it so much! He will sorely missed.

    Neil Simister

    ReplyDelete