Thursday 14 May 2009

Saying goodbye to a great friend - Funeral service details!

I'll just keep adding new messages to this blog for now, so keep reading through, I just posted a really nice one from Adil Latif, the blind snowboarder that Keith coached up to be the first ever Blind Snowboarder doing a BC Heli drop.

Once again we have received so many kind words about Keith and I’d like to thank you all.

In particular I’d like to thank Dave Seeley who alongside Keith drove our McNab Junior Team program. The two of them where inseparable and through these many messages it is evident that the pair of them have influenced and guided many of our young up and coming riders of the future both on and off the mountain.

I know that through Dave and the rest of the McNab Pro coaching team the work that Keith has started will continue and his name will live on in this way forever!

Keith touched and influenced so many of us in ways that we hardly could have imagined. His passing makes us wake up to our own mortality and shows us how precious this life really is and I know we shall all in time learn something from this experience, celebrate the life Keith led and try to live our lives as fully as he led his.

(Your messages follow this information about Keith’s funeral service, please take time to read them all).

Neil.


I can now release the details for Keith’s funeral service and some wishes from Mel for those who wish to attend.

Anyone who wishes to pay their respects to Keith, are more than welcome to attend the service.

It is requested that only close family send flowers for the service. Cards can be sent to the address below and a ‘Trust Fund’ has been set up for little Arren and donations would be welcome (details below).

Also, Mel is putting together a ‘Memory box’ for Arren and requests that anyone attending brings a photo or a note that details how they knew Keith and anything they'd like Arren to know about his Daddy.


Cards of condolence for those that can’t attend the service can be sent to:

Melanie McIntosh,
11 Eglinton Place
Ayr
KA7 1JQ


Donations to Arren’s trust fund are welcome to:

Bank of Scotland
High Street
Ayr

Acc. No.: 00160927
Sort code: 11-45-28
Arren Stewart McIntosh

Here follow the funeral service details:

The service will take place on Tuesday 19th May at 11.30am (service begins at exactly 11.30am so best to arrive at least 15 minutes before, parking is on site.)

Clydebank Crematorium
Crematorium Lodge,
Great Western Road (next to Erskine Bridge slip road)
Clydebank
G81 4SL

Afterward there will be tea, drinks and sandwiches served at the Boulevard Hotel, Great Western Road, two minutes drive from the crematorium.


Your messages!

Mel, Neil, Ruth,
I just heard and I’m so sorry. I hope over time the hurt of the immense loss can be comforted with the happy memories of the amazing life he lived. I still remember Keith offering to teach me to snowboard and believing in me and not letting me think my blindness would stop me in any way He never took a penny from me and only wanted me to fulfil my dream of snowboarding down a Glacier. in 2007 he made my dream come true. On the video you see Keith saying that he couldn't wait to see the smile on my face... and thats all he did it for to see the smile on my face wow. He was the most genuine man I have ever met and had so much natural talent and its so nice to read that he shared it with so many people. I seen him as a big brother and was looking forward to the day I could see him again to show him how much I had progressed in my riding... he will be always in my mind when I ride and I will share my successes with him Death comes to us all but the good guys always seem to be first in the line... My thoughts with Keith’s family and friends and the big-man himself.
Please let me know if you need my help for anything I will be coming to Glasgow this weekend Adi




Dear Mel & Arren,
What can I say,,,,,,,,,,,, Keith was one of the good guys !!!!
Sorry but I'll not be able to be there on Tuesday, I'm offshore trying to earn some cash to pay for the extra £1200 quid heli time we had in Kamchatka, I'm sure he'd understand..
My thoughts are with you both and the rest of the McNab team.
Al.. (Alan Fielding)




I wanted to say a few words about Keith.
First I would like to say my thoughts are with Mel and Arren and Neil and Ruth. I have been working with Keith since 1995 as the second coach on the McNab junior team. Keith was a true friend who I looked forward to seeing and riding with at every opportunity. I have taken a lot from Keith, just watching how he led his life. A family man with time for everyone who lived life to the full.
I know all the kids on the camps who have met him are better people for the experience.
Its only now I appreciate how much Keith meant to me. I can look back over all the time I have known Keith and say that I only have good memories of him, memories that I will now treasure.
I was riding with Keith in the morning in Kaunertal. We did a few runs and he was so happy, powder in May! We went up the chair discussing the usual things, which lines we had taken, which ones we wanted to do. Now all my lines are for Keith.
A great man who will missed by so many.
Dave Seeley.



Mel, Neil & Ruth,
I wanted to add my condolences to the many wonderful tributes on your website. I met Keith and all of the McNab team on a Kommunity summer camp a few years ago and since then have had the priviledge of riding with Keith at a few Brits. I will always remember the powder day at last years Brits when Keith took a group of us down some lesser known backcountry runs, and the snowball fight he started in the gondola on the way back up. Keith's enthusiasm was infectious, his talent for both teaching and riding inspired many, myself included. I was always impressed that despite only bumping into each other occasionally he would always know my name and ask me questions about my life. He was that kind of person, he always had time for others and no one was unimportant in his eyes. The world will definitely be a poorer place without him. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this very sad time.
Emily Spicer




Dear Mel and Neil,
Graham and I were very shocked to read about Keith's death and our thoughts are with you in what must be the most difficult days. It is fantastic that Keith discovered what he really loved and wanted to do and had the courage, initiative and determination to do it and found the right people to support him in his ambitions and dreams. Mel, you must have been determined when you started out in the cubby hole behind the kitchen at the chalet! So many of the tributes to Keith have come from graduates of the youth programme and it is clear that he helped and inspired many young people. One of our memories of Keith is from his videos and how there was footage of the group and then it suddenly turned into 'Keith's world' when he video'd as he was riding and it was a whole lot more exciting than what we'd been doing! This terrible event has made us realise how much we needed to thank Keith and everyone at McNab for having inspired us, guided us so well and kept us 'numpties' safe whilst helping us live our lives a lot more vividly. Please remember this over the next few months. Finally, on a very personal note, Arren and our son Simon are about the same age and thinking about your sad loss has made me realise that through our children we really do live on beyond memories. Best wishes and take care, Helen and Graham



Dear Mel.
So sad to here about your loss. I am honoured to have known Keith. I like to think of him as more than an inspirational teacher, but as a friend to all who knew him. He will be sorely missed.
Kevin (Calder) and George



Mel/Neil,
really sorry to hear about Keith’s accident. I remember first meeting you and Keith in the McNab kitchen and thinking how friendly you were. I was late down to breakfast on the first day everyone had gone to kit up but Keith had saved me some porridge - said I'd need the energy. All through the week he was helping the group out with kit, packs, bindings, rest stops, board care techniques, no solo lift rides for people. On the slopes people soon realised if you stayed with Keith you'd find some good alternative lines to Neils. Keith inspired so many people to enjoy the mountains as much as he did. My thoughts are with you all.
Martin Watkin



Neil
So very sorry to hear of the tragic loss.
I met Keith for the first time this year on the tech course. We spoke alot about his son as I was expecting our first child who came a few days ago. He was the proudest dad ever and his face lit up every time he spoke about Arren. I expected to be inspired by the course....I did not imagine that I would be inspired by Keith in my future fatherhood. I know he will be missed.
My deepest sympathies to Mel & Arren and all his close family and friends.




Dear Neil
just heard the sad news about Keith - I'm so, so sorry for you and for Mel and Arren. Keith was a lovely, genuine, kind-hearted bloke (very patient with me when I couldn't figure out how to use an analogue transceiver) and he obviously thought the world of you and loved working with you.
Thinking of you all at this tragic time,
Roger (Cox)



To Mel and Arren,
with deepest sympathy. Keith was the guy who taught me to ride and re-kindled a love of the mountains that will never wane. Thank you. Tim (Piper)



Neil, I was totally gutted for you and Mel and young Arrun to read the news about Keith. Best wishes to you all, he was a great guy.
Tim (Downes)



Mel/Neil,
My deepest sympathys go out to you all at this sad and shocking time, I will always remember some of the best times of my life following Keith down amazing powder fields - his spirit will live forever. My love and sympathy to you all.
James (Martin)



We are very saddened to hear the news of Keith's death, total shock. Please pass on my condolences to Mel and the family. Keith achieved a great deal in his life and will truly never be forgotten. I am sure I speak on behalf of everyone who knew Keith and Mel that if there is anything else we can do to help please let us know.
Jeff Murray (Stranraer) and Family.



Dear Mel
I was so sad and shocked to hear about Keith.
My thoughts are with you and your family, and everyone at McNabs.
Simon Tuffen



It's been a e few years since I last boarded with the McNab team, but the great memories have not faded. In particular I remember Keith as an inspirational rider and a really helpful, friendly, solid guy. Massive respect for Keith & Mel choosing to live the dream. Such a terrible ending.
Very best wishes to Mel & Arran. Keith RIP,
Keith Parker



Hi Neil
Just to say how sorry I am to hear about Keith's untimely passing. My thoughts are with Meland all of the McNab crew at this difficult time.
All the best
Keith (O’leary)



Hi Neil,
I wanted to send you a mail to say that Leah and I are thinking about
you guys (and of course Mel, who I have contacted already) during this
very difficult time. Such a tragedy and there's nothing really to say
except that I know that Keith will be sorely missed by all who loved
him. Death is one of those things that we all have to face throughout
our lives but no matter how much experience we have with it, it is
always so difficult to bear and my heart goes out to all of you.
Especially this tragedy because it is so difficult to put in any
context that makes sense, regardless of the risks we know are ever
present on the mountain. Personally I wish I had had the opportunity
to get to know Keith more.
If there is anything that Leah or I can do, please don't hesitate to ask.
All our love,
Jon and Leah



Dear Mel, Arren & the McNab Team,
Words can't ease your sorrow, but hearts can share your loss. We are thinking of you during this very sad time.
Nicola Duncan on behalf of all the RAF Snowboarders xxx



Dear Mel, Neil, and families,
I'd just like to add my small words to the flood of kind wishes you
are receiving.
It's probably eight years since Keith taught me to (properly)
snowboard. I remember turning up for the "Advanced" clinic, with 4
weeks of snowboarding under my belt, and meeting the others on the
course. People who had already ridden for a season or more! But Keith
was non-plussed - "they'll all just have more to unlearn" was his
attitude. This confidence, his excellent and patient teaching, and his
passion for snowboarding had a major impact, and helped convert me
from a once-a-year piste rider to an obsessed enthusiast.
My lasting memory of that first week was Keith taking us over a hip
jump (my first). After watching Keith stylishly execute, it was my
turn. I'm still not entirely sure what went wrong, but the whole
mountain could hear Keith laughing from the other side of the piste as
I untangled myself. Of course he was also capturing the whole thing on
video too!

There are few people with the courage and determination to follow
their dreams the way that Keith did, and he will remain an inspiration
to me for this.
Our thoughts are with you all.
Love,
Jon & Amy (Rowland)



Dear Neil and Mel,
I've just heard the tragic news about Keith. I only spent a couple of days with him whilst we were shooting heli-boarding with blind snowboarder Adil Latif, he seemed a lovely guy, passionate about the hills and the opportunity to share them with someone who might never have had a chance otherwise due to his disability. He also relished the challenge, and his enthusiasm was infectious. Thus I feel sad, but I do feel privileged to have known him for even such a fleeting few days. Anyone who has spent a significant amount of time in the mountains loses friends to them, I guess without the danger they wouldn't be quite so special, but so often it seems like those friends were the best of us, and the most difficult for us to lose. My thoughts go to you, his friends and family, at this most difficult time.
James Vernon



Hello Mel
Just heard the news, I am devastated,Keith was an inspiration.I will always take his memory on to the slopes with me.Words cannot express the sorrow I feel for your families loss.Kindest regards
Andrew Tarrant, Exeter

No comments:

Post a Comment