Tuesday 22 February 2011

More powder and more splitboarding!

After a day of snowfall on Sunday the skies cleared perfectly for Monday and the first day of my Advanced BC course!

Monday we headed up the Grand Montets, against my better judgment as I knew it would be heaving with everyone trying to get up top for the 60cm of fresh rumoured to be up there.

With the small group ratio of 1 to 3 however, getting priority top tickets (even on a super busy day) wasn't to be a problem and we headed straight up to check it out.

I'm happy to say we weren't dissapointed, the rumours were right and we charged down the Lognan's glacier, fresh tracks for all and the run I've been waiting for for the last 7 weeks, Grand Montets in perfect condition.

After a cruise around nabbing some lines in bound we headed back up to find some more untracked lines on the Glacier, hit the stash on the way down and finished a perfect day in style.

Today, we were on route for a big splitboard tour up high but the weather wasn't playing ball so we headed around to the Val Ferret, my new favorite playgound.

Gwri on route for the top!

Daryl and Iain pushing a fast pace first time out on the splits!

We skinned up to the summit of Monte della Saxe in super fast time, some 750m of up in just over 2 hrs and had lunch looking out onto Courmayeur and the Italian side of Mont Blanc.

Touring along the summit plateau.

Arriving at the summit of Monte della Saxe.

We toured along the summit ridge for a bit to check out the best spot to drop in.

Daryl deep in powder heaven!

Iain at full speed over the rollers!

Gwri lays out a carve in the deep powder!

The initial slopes looked a bit wind loaded so we used caution until we were established on the face just below and then charged towards the valley. 750m (vertical) of pure untracked amazing powder!

I'm just getting more addicted to riding the Jones Solution 168 every time I take it out and if I get runs like this everytime I use it I think I'll be hiking everyday.

Mid holiday madness and we had the whole mountain to ourselves!

Another dream descent in the bag and a tricky river crossing to finish!

Not so bad!!

More tomorrow then!

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment