Tuesday 15 June 2010

The summer season is here!

I just got in from a four day cycling 'Tour du Mont Blanc' on road bikes with GPM10.

I must be getting a little better as Mark (GPM10 boss) finally asked me along as one of his cycling guides. As I mentioned in my last news post, I came 69th in the Time Megeve last weekend but 20th in my age Category so that's not so bad for my first outing, and I feel like I've improved again since then.

I'm never going to be the best uphill (with my size), but I can feel it getting better, the speed and power are increasing and my stamina and sustainability is getting better. Just got to keep working on it and keep pushing on through to the next level. I unfortunately live in a very hilly area for cycling so I'm just going to have to keep working on it!!

It's great to feel and see the gains as you progress. With my rock climbing (and I guess also with Snowboarding) where I've already pushed myself to the highest levels of the sport it feels a bit different. With climbing especially it can be quite frustrating as you're always pushing yourself to try and get back to a level that you have been at in the past. You know what it takes to get to that level, but back then its all you did, your life revolved around it and now you have other commitments that kind of get in the way a little, plus its difficult to keep motivated when you're chasing a level that you've been at and you know the effort it takes to get back to it.

With the cycling its all a big unknown, I've never been at any kind of level in cycling so its all a bit new and quite exciting to see how much I can improve. I've always been more of a power player, (short steep powerful climbs were my cup of tea) and with the cycling I'm having to improve my power endurance and endurance capacities which is interesting. Having to change my bodies performance capabilities and change my muscular make up a little for endurance mileage.

Its taking a while but I'm starting to feel it coming along now and so just can't seem to stop. I think when you know how hard it is to make the gains, you feel like you can't afford any time off or you'll drop the hard fought fitness you've just gained.

Its almost like an addiction but I'm loving it!

Anyway, the last four days have been great!

Chamonix to Champex over the col du Montets and the col du Forclaz then the big climb up to Champex.
Champex to La Thuille over the Col du Grd St Bernard and half way up the Petite St Bernard.
La Thuille to the Col du Saisses over the Petite St Bernard and the Col du Rosalin.
Last day to Chamonix, over the Saisses, the col d' Aravis, the col du Columbia and then up to Chamonix.

I went out this morning and did some power intervals up one of the local climbs so will rest tomorrow (No I'm not an obsessive kind of guy honest!).

I go up Mont Blanc at the end of the week or I at least start a Mont Blanc ascent week at the end of the week.

First I ride around it and then I go up it!

So my mountaineering summer season is just about to kick off, it'll be nice to get back up in the peaks although the weather is a bit unpredictable at the moment so it could be interesting. I'm not going to be acclimatised for the first trip but at least my aerobic capacity should be good.

Provisional bookings for next 'Winter' are going amazingly well, we already have 2 full weeks and 3 more weeks each with only 1 place left on them. I've started work on next years brochure for the ski show but at this rate I might not need it as we could be full before October!

If anyone needs any info or advice with any of the courses just drop us a mail or give us a call.

Ok enough of my waffle.

All is good in Chamonix!

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment