Thursday 16 August 2012

Ok, so most of you have already seen that the courses are now on line!

Yep, I finally coaxed Ruth back into the office and we're off and taking bookings for next seasons courses. 2 days in and we had over 50% of our places taken, once bookings are confirmed with deposit payments then I'll update the courses page as to what is still available but if you're looking to get on a course next season then don't leave it to late as spaces are disappearing almost as quickly as Alpine Glacier Ice during the summer months!

It's been hot over here in Chamonix the past few weeks, mid 30's and rising. The mountains are looking baked, the winter snows have gone, the ice is bare and the rock is dry. Great for rock climbing (which is what I've been doing today) but every summer there's less and less perma snow and more and more dry ice and rock fall. There's an artists impression of what the mountains will look like in the future without the Glaciers and it's looking more and more real every year.

Of course, the Glaciers have been receding for a long time so its maybe not anything new, these glaciers used to reach out to near Lyon some 250km's away and anyway with todays rapidly changing climate it'll probably snow tomorrow!

The summer has been amazing so far, I worked hard early on so that I could take August off and spend some family time and practice my DIY skills armed with my collection of one shit slightly bent saw, a really sharp tree saw, a hammer and a drill. So far I've built some steps and a Tree house (or a tree platform as the girls rightly pointed out made form my Bouldering wall which was dismantled to make way for a cycling and squats gym). So far the tree platform has held 3 people at the same time, a new record!

Whilst I might be annoyingly obsessive about detail and precision with my sporting performances, this gene seams to have skipped my DIY skills and whilst the tree platform still stands for the moment I'm not convinced of its longevity.

I've been cycling tons, out most days melting in the heat and I also started running up mountains with the dogs (for rest days off the bike), you know the old saying, 'a change is as good as a rest', well thats a load of rubbish because I tried it with a couple of hours running up to the Bellevue and I didn't feel rested at all.

I've also been hitting the squats quite a bit, inspired by the Olympic track cyclists performance and feeling keen for the coming track cycling season and winter Snowboard season so I'm working hard on increasing my leg power, strength and endurance.

Obviously not managed to curb my training addiction yet!

It's still mid summer but its quite interesting to start to hear about people talk of the coming winter season. The shops in Chamonix are starting to sell off their summer ranges and the warmer looking kit will soon be creeping back in. I put my order in to Mr Jones for Boards the other day, should be some exciting new additions to the range such as a Carbon Flagship, a 160 Hovercraft Splitboard, the Mtn Twin has had some major tweakage and there's now some female specific sizes and constructions. I'm personally looking forward to the Carbon Flag 163W and the Hover Split. There's talk of a bigger Hovercraft joining the range at some time in the future, I'm gunning for a 164 Hover…how good would that be!!!


I've another few weeks of cycling work coming up in September, just before the track opens in Geneva, so hopefully I'll be going strong through the Autumn track sessions. My winter season kicks off in mid December again over in Tignes before starting here in Chamonix Christmas week and then full speed ahead for the winter. I'm looking forward to it already, in particular the Kashmir trip, the new Slackcountry courses, the new Haute Route and the Splitboard courses…so that's pretty much everything then I guess! Lets hope the weather plays ball again and we get conditions like last season!!

Anyway, enough of my waffle, I've 'Destroy It Yourself' projects to get on with!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this wonderful story.. I like the way you write it down..

    Burton Vapor Snowboard



    ReplyDelete