Tuesday 13 September 2011

First Autumn vibes!

So I just squeezed in an extra Mont Blanc ascent by the Cosmiques 3 summits route last week and have now finally finished working up in the peaks for a while (or so I think). The conditions are pretty mixed at the moment (as they have been all summer), it's either really hot or really cold which makes for some pretty unstable conditions up high.


Last weekend saw another massive rock fall on the West face of the Dru, a fine example of the changes taking place!


The access arrete at the top of the Aiguille du Midi is the thinnest I've ever seen it, barely enough room for you to stand with 2 feet side by side, slack line practice essential! I descended it in gusting gale force winds the other day with my Mont Blanc guys, very exciting! This shot was taken a week ago, it's actually narrower than this now at the top and the bottom half after the steep section is even thinner!

A great way to wake up in the morning!!

I'm starting to get excited about the coming winter already. I just ordered my new Jones boards, a 160 Hovercraft, the Flaship 168W, Solution 168W and the All Mtn Twin 164W will be under my feet this winter!

You might have also read that Mr Jones has recently linked up with Karakoram for splitboard bindings so I'll be trying a pair of those out soon. Jeremy rates them so its a good sign and I'll let you know what I think after I've given them a test. Good Splitboard bindings really make a massive difference when it comes to the performance of a splitboard so hopefully these new bindings will improve things even more!!

Here's hoping!

Can't hardly wait to get out riding the new splits this winter, come on early snow!!

I'll also be updating some of my McNab Snowboarding splitboard fleet and so will selling off some of last years Splits and some of my old boards pre or early season so watch this space!

The winter courses are booking up super fast now with many courses full or nearly full so if you're looking to get out this season don't leave it too long.

I also have a few Private/bespoke bookings coming in and it looks like my seasons guiding will now start towards the end of November and any gaps between then and New Year are filling in fast!

I now have 2 weeks riding with GPM10, starting this Thursday and will be out on my bike most of the Autumn. I rode the col du Saisses the other day and felt surprisingly good keeping a high cadence and good speed all the way to knock over 5 mins off my previous best time (yep I must have been shit before or the altitude training has really paid off!!)

It's beautiful out here in the Autumn, crisp fresh air, clear skies, beautiful colours and quiet roads so I'm looking forward to getting in some great riding and bringing on some proper riding form!

Mr Andy Cook, get yourself out here I need a training partner!!

No other news really at the moment except that our new kitten (which was apparently meant to stay indoors) now perfectly matches the freshly varnished decking out the back of the house!

Ruth was only out for a couple of minutes, I fear she won't be too pleased...

Maybe she won't notice that the white and grey cat now has new brown patches all over... It was funny at the time though!!

until next time take it easy!

Neil.




No comments:

Post a Comment