Monday 8 November 2010

Ok, its official, winter is here!

Ok, it's snowing, getting deep and and the kids are sledging to school, it's official, winter has arrived.

Time for me to start getting all my winter kit out, both for myself and the winter courses, I need to get the snow tyres back out and on the vehicles and generally get ready for 5 months of deep snow and winter whiteness.

I've just been going through the final details for the Greenland expedition this coming April/May. All is looking good now and I'm already very excited about this trip.

We'll basically use ski doo access to journey into a massive isolated mountain range in the area known as Liverpool land.

We'll build a self contained base camp and hike, ride, climb and explore the area and peaks surrounding our base.

We're talking steep and deep with a difference, ice bergs, frozen seas, midnight sun and endless peaks. We'll access everything by foot, splitboard, snowshoes or crampons and ride first descents every day in true Jones 'Deeper' style.

This will be the 2nd trip I've run to the east coast of Greenland but to a completely different area with a completely different feel. A bit more 'out there' and a bit more 'massive' in terms of terrain and potential.

Yep, I'm looking forward to this one already!

Well, I can just about still get out on my bike if I drive down the valley, but it is starting to get a bit colder now even down there and the snow line is creeping ever downward. Might have to resort to the turbo trainer in the Garage soon, nah, I'll keep braving the cold till snow changes play.

Looks like I'll be able to get out touring before too long if this snow keeps on falling. Amazing, I hadn't really thought about it all yet, up until 2 days ago I was still focused totally on riding ,my bike and now its looking like I'll be hiking and riding before you know it.

I hope the split boards arrive soon!

All is good in Chamonix!

Neil.

2 comments:

  1. Any inspiration come from a Mr Jones by any chance ha, I'm very jealous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt, J Jones is always going to inspire and as I now ride for his company this helps too. However, I've riding and guiding in the BC for some 20 years so I find my inspiration from the mountains and the feeling of riding down them too. Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoy the blogs.
    Neill

    ReplyDelete