Monday 9 March 2009

Amazing heli descent - more snow!


On Saturday I forfeited my day off to run a Heli day for Keith who had a couple of private clients for the Trient drop. The Finhaut pick up is off limits at the moment so all Swiss flights are taking off from just below Verbier which makes logistics a little bit more of a problem when finishing up in Trient.

We had a 10am flight, very scenic with Pilot Roland who took us around to view the descent even though it wasn't on route and made the flight a good deal longer. A great flight and smooth drop off on the Trient Plateau left us with, once more, some trail braking to do up towards the Aiguille du Tour.

The air was pretty cold and the snow some of the lightest and deepest powder I've yet seen up there (although I seem to be saying that everytime I go out at the moment!).

I feared the top might have been a bit wind affected as it was at the Col du Pissoir but once we dropped through onto Glacier des Grandes it was to be once again perfect powder all the way!

Once again this had to be classed as one of the best descents of the season with aleast 40 to 50cm of the most perfect light powder coating the whole descent right down until the river crossing at the bottom.

With no other tracks on the mountain the hardest descision was once again which route to take as everywhere looked amazing!

In the end we stuck to the main descent and went straight down the middle.

Keith took some video footage and we had a photographer along for the ride so should have some shots sometime soon. The descent was amazing, some of the biggest and deepest powder turns that I have ever made with powder roosters flying high on every one.

Anyway needles to say it was a great day off!

I'm just having a couple of days rest, Sunday, Monday to let my legs catch up after 9 weeks of non stop courses and riding then I'm back on it tomorrow Tuesday. Miles Bright is Guiding in my place on the Advanced BC Freeride, Ralf is out with the reg BC Freeride group and Keith started out with a quick tour to the Col du Lac Noire before the weather changed for the Off Piste performance team.

Its now dumping with snow again and looks set in for a couple of days before it should clear out towards the end of the week so we can get up high and gain some more massive powder descents.

Until then there's tree runs to ride, my legs are feeling recovered and I'm back on the board tomorrow.

Here we go again!

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment