Thursday 26 February 2009

Breche du Berard and a Glacier Petudes, awesome!

Just had a great 2 days riding with a Breche du Berard yesterday with perfect conditions both up and down followed by a heli drop up on the Trient Plateau today and an amazing descent of the Petudes Glacier variant again with perfect conditions for all.

I see my book has had its first mixed review on amazon but only in the case that it has goofy riders in it and not regular riders?

The idea is that you understand the concept of the pressure movements, how the board works, how the turn shape works and how the body works.
Combine the three and you have the Science behind Snowboard technique whether goofy or regular!! Its the feeling, the understanding and the concept that's important not which foot lead with.

I can take critisism if it holds value but lets face it, I revolutionize the way Snowboarding can be taught and someone complains because they ride the other way around and just for that gives it a 2 out of 5?

Get real!

Anyway, two more great days in the bag, I'll let the photos do the talking.

Hiking up to the Breche du Berard, Josh, Kev, Joel and Alessandro.

Josh powers a deep on on the way down from the Breche

Hiking up to the Aiguille du Tour above the Trient Plateau today.

Grom gets a nice line on the Petudes variant today.

Terje (or Jason) getting another first descent! Glacier petudes.

Kev gest a nice line on this ridge opposite me, Glacier petudes.

Allessandro at full speed making a rare turn!

Jason heads for the valley with so much fresh its confusing where to turn next!

Another big day planned for tomorrow!!

Bring it on!

Neil.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps you're being a little oversensitive about a mere Amazon review. I have the book (bought what turned out to be a US edition from Amazon Germany with an irritating American voice-over on the DVD, so I have no idea what you really sound like). And I too found the all-goofy illustrations somewhat confusing and less helpful than they could have been for the first few times of trying to get my head around the unfamiliar concepts.

    I've been consistently trying to apply your principles since the end of last season, and it has helped with my riding a lot (still catch myself counter-rotating sometimes if I'm tired, stressed or otherwise not paying attention - but at least I *do* catch myself) I'd like to attend one of your courses one day.

    So I'm appreciative of what you have done for snowboarding technique and teaching. But I also think this particular amazon reviewer's criticism of the book is valid and constructive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo's of two great days on the BC Intro course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alan, you're a lot better off with a cheesy American voice over than my Yorkshire slang.

    You'll always have to concentrate on not rotating, thats the way it works I'm afraid, keep the back knee back, it opens the stance and makes everything possible.

    It would be a lot more confusing if the diagrams and demos where half reg half goofy that's for sure!

    Try watching it in a mirror if you can't picture it the other way around??

    Its a fair comment about the book but a 2 out of 5 to me that's an insult!

    Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the book is very good, just get a pen to some of the illustrations to alter the notation if you ride regular. Concentrate on the princples on the DVD rather than the actual and it all seems to fit!

    ReplyDelete